Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Beauty Is In The Heart of The Homemaker


Do you like the vignette I've created for my dining room server? The menu came from a tea room I loved. I ragged the walls to compliment dusty rose and peachy pink. I have always loved decorating. I guess it came from my art background.

We were taught to be moved by what we see quicker than what we hear, feel or even believe. Therefore what we see in and around our homes should be encouraging, nurturing and inspiring, or of major importance. In fact, a good way to rid your house of clutter is to look at each object in question and ask yourself — “Is this encouraging, nurturing, inspiring or of major importance? ” I've learned that to create a home that brings you joy you must first find out what excites you visually. I did’t discover my decorating style until my first few months of marriage. I decided I needed to learn more about homemaking so I began to purchase decorating magazines. I bought Victorian Home, House & Garden, Country Living and Colonial Home just to name a few. Why so many? Because I did’t know enough of what I liked to develop a style. If you don’t want to invest in lots of expensive magazines, order loads of catalogs, they’re free. Cut out pictures of decorating ideas, colors, patterns and objects that excites you. Use the clippings to create a decorating resource binder. I can’t tell you how helpful a book like this can be. I have several in several categories. When asked for decorating advice the first thing I always suggest is that the person finds out what they really love andsurround themselves with those things. With that kind of honesty, your personal style will come together. I call that the “mosaic” style of decorating - the artistic placement of unmatched but lovingly chosen pieces that create rooms of personal beauty. Some of the most charming homes I've been in were mosaics. I began to gravitate to the coziness of country and then realized my passion was for the opulence of Victoriana. But not before purchasing two major Oriental pieces. I found a way to make them work by adding a few other black lacquer pieces to tie it all together. The funny thing is I still have those pieces (my large lacquer wall unit and Chinese horn chair). Once you know what you love, you can begin to surround yourself with things that resonate with your soul. This is why to me, a beautiful home is in the heart of the homemaker.
HAPPY APRIL

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your insightful post... I am mindful that a few years ago I completely cleaned my office and have now filled it with meanigful objects of beauty, gifts and works of art from a dear friend... such surroundings enhance my work life and quality of life.
    Blessings
    Kringle

    ReplyDelete